Being authentic is the best way you can respect yourself, and in return earn respect. How do you know if you’re being your authentic self? We’ve done some research for you and compiled a list of characteristics that people who live out authentic lives typically express. In the age of information and influence, it’s getting harder to live out an authentic life. However, it’s still the most important thing you can do for your success and happiness. How many of these characteristics would describe you?
- They stand for something – Like the old saying goes, “You’ve gotta stand for something or you’ll fall for anything. Authentic people respect others, but it’s their own intuition, values, and point of view they rely own when it comes to making important decisions. They have confidence in and trust their judgement.
- They are generally happy – People who are authentic tend to value family and friends above all else. They are mostly successful, but money isn’t their primary focus. They focus on helping others, giving back to their communities, and making an impact. They know that taking care of themselves is not selfish and allows them the opportunity to do more. These tendencies tend to make you a happier person.
- They do what they say – Authentic people are honest. They are far from perfect, but they will rarely intentionally lie. They are loyal and you can count on them to do what they say will do. They value integrity above all.
- They learn from their mistakes – Being authentic does not mean to live without making mistakes, it simply means you don’t allow mistakes to define you. People who are more authentic, learn from their mistakes. They rarely repeat the same mistake twice. Additionally, they openly share their mistakes with other people to help them avoid the same mistakes.
- They do not live in fear – Authentic people are not fearless; they just do not let fear hold them back. They are typically cautious and conservative in their decisions, but if fear is the only opposition, they go for it.
- They avoid fake people – Authentic and genuine people are the sincerest people you will ever meet. They typically keep their circle of friends small because they can’t take meaningless and fake friendships. They have a keen sense of intuition and can typically see through any fakeness. They run from this like the plague.
- They are positive – Being positive doesn’t mean everything is perfect. It’s far from it! However, authentic people tend to focus on the things they can change. They don’t usually ruminate on situations they have no control over. Authentic people usually live with the attitude that the best is yet to come. These behaviors help them to be more positive people.
- They don’t let the opinions of others determine what they do – An authentic person would never allow what someone else thinks of them hinder their decisions. They are confident in who they are and what they can accomplish. It’s not that they don’t care what people think, they do! It’s just they wouldn’t allow what someone else thinks keep them from doing what they have been convinced or believe is the right thing to do.
The bottom line, authentic people are awesome! There are many things that could be said about them, but these are some of the most significant characteristics. Hopefully, you will find that you have many of these traits as well, and if there are any you don’t have, you will be more intentional about learning them. Afterall, that is what an authentic person would do!
Written by Kim Martin
Founder of I’ve Decided, INC – A personal development company